Sunday, November 24, 2013

Introducing Callie

On Saturday, November 16 at about 12:15 in the afternoon we welcomed our little girl Callie.
She was 7 pounds even and 20.5 inches long, with a FULL head of dark hair. Way more hair than Oaklee was born with.
 
The day didn't go exactly as planned (it's almost as if babies don't care about their mother's plans). Late Friday night my sister Lindsay arrived from Utah. Incredible timing, especially with Ryan away for work. So we got Lindsay here and then about 9:30 Saturday morning my water broke. I knew from Oaklee's birth that I was going to have this baby pretty quickly, so we got everything together and jumped in the car. After dropping Oaklee off we hurried to the hospital. When we arrived I didn't waste any time telling any nurse who would listen that I was going to transition quickly and I needed drugs right then. The next hour or two were a little stressful for me. While I'm sure all the nurses there were very competent, they didn't take my warnings seriously and needless to say it was time for me to push and they still hadn't given me any drugs. Now, I know that women have been having babies for thousands of years without drugs, and many women today chose to do it naturally. I had absolutely NO desire to be one of these women. I will probably have a bitter spot in my heart towards the Grande Prairie hospital until my dying day.
But I digress. After being at the hospital less than two hours our little Callie was born. About five minutes after she was born Ryan walked in, after rushing home from the rig. While I wish he could have been there for the birth, I am so glad he got there as soon after as he did.
 


While the delivery part of Callie's birth was more stressful than Oaklee's, the rest of the day was a breeze compared to Oaklee's. No CPR, no tubes down her throat, no IV's in her head. It was so amazing to get to hold her right away and know that she was healthy as could be.
 
 
 
Later that afternoon Oaklee came to meet her new sister. The first 20 minutes were a little rough on Oaklee, but she eventually warmed right up to her sister and now I hear her say at least 10 times every day, "Oh, cute baby Callie." Although if you ask Oaklee if Callie is cuter than her, she is very quick to tell you no.
 

 
24 hours after her birth, Callie and I were headed home.
 
 
We got to have a few great days with Ryan before he went back to work Tuesday night. Since he is gone I have been extremely grateful for Lindsay and all her help. We've had an awesome first week getting adjusted to our new little girl. Oaklee has been a champ. With a few small moments of jealousy thrown in, but for the most part she loves her sister and is very helpful. We love our little Callie and think she is adorable. Here are some pictures to convince you that she is:
 






 
 



1 comment:

  1. Bec- YOU are a CHAMP!!! I am so impressed with you...seriously...you just like to do things the hard way. ;) I am so glad baby Callie is here and Oaklee is right..she is not cuter than her...they are both ADORABLE!!! I can't wait to get my hands on both of them. I may not give them back though. :) We sure love you guys and MISS you!

    ReplyDelete