Saturday, February 11, 2012

Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Today started out as a good Saturday. My best little friend Jayne came over and played with me and Oaklee for a few hours. Then we got ready to go to a baptism. We left early to do lunch with my family. As the food was being brought to the table a bowl of steaming hot soup got set down close to Oaklee, and because she is at the stage where she needs to have everything, she of course grabbed for it. I wasn't sitting by her but I looked up when she started screaming. We immediately took all of her clothes off but after rinsing her off in the bathroom we quickly decided we needed to take her to the hospital.


She had 2nd degree burns all up one leg and on her other foot. The nurses and doctors were so good and Oaklee was soon all bandaged up and ready to go home. She was such a trooper too. Watching her be in pain and not being able to do anything about it was horrible. It has been a very long day for both of us. And it was made harder by the fact that Ryan has been having a horrible day also. He is slowly making his way home from North Dakota for his two week break but has been too sick to drive. I know it was hard on him to not be here with her and it was hard on me to not have him here. It was also hard to know that he was sick and trying to drive and once again, nothing I could do about it. A very helpless day for me all around. I am grateful for our wonderful families though, who got me through the day. We go back tomorrow to get the bandages changed and to check that there is no sign of infection. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little less stressful for everyone. Needless to say we will not be having soup again for some time.


Here are some pictures in the hospital (they are a little blurry):



Here she is before the bandages, while they were pouring


stuff on her to keep it from getting worse.




Her poor little foot.





Her leg, this one kills me.


All bandaged up.





Poor baby.....

3 comments:

  1. Oh poor poor Oaklee!! I imagine the person who set the soup down near her is dead. I hope she gets feeling better soon!! Let us know if we can do anything to help.
    <3 Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, I didn't know you had a blog!! Love looking at your pics. So sorry about poor little Oaklee :( I'll have to save you to my blog list so I can look at your updates :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me so sad for everyone involved. Of course for little sweet baby Oaklee to have to endure the pain and not understanding "why." For her cute Mama who takes such great care of her and for her daddy who just wanted to be there!! Hope everyone is doing a lot better today! LOVE YOU ALL!

    ReplyDelete